This is from Wikipedia and Home of the Hero’s.

William Loren McGonagle (November 19, 1925 – March 3, 1999) was a United States Naval officer 
who received the Medal of Honor for his actions while in command of the USS Liberty when it
 was attacked in the Eastern Mediterranean on June 8, 1967 during the Six-Day War.

After accepting a commission in the US Navy in 1944 McGonagle held various assignments 
before taking command of theLiberty in 1966.
 In June 1967 the Liberty was sailing in international waters in the Eastern Mediterranean 
when it was attacked by the Israel Defense Force, injuring McGonagle, killing and injuring other 
members of his crew, and severely damaging the ship. He maintained control of the ship until 
help arrived, and after healing from his wounds was presented the Medal of Honor for his 
actions on the Liberty in 1968. He continued his navy career, holding several more positions 
until retiring in 1974. When he died in 1999 he was buried at Arlington National Cemetery 
with full military honors a short distance from the graves of some of his crew who were 
killed during the attack.
McGonagle was born November 19, 1925 in Wichita, Kansas
After attending secondary school and college in California, he enlisted in the Navy 
in 1944 and for the next three years participated in a Navy training program at the 
University of Southern California. In June 1947 he accepted a commission i
nto the Navy as an ensign.[1] He was assigned to the destroyer USS Frank Knox 
and after that was posted to the minesweeper USS Partridge from 1947-1950. 
During the Korean War he served on the minesweeper USS Kite during the extensive 
that earned him and the other members of the crew a Presidential Unit Citation. 
From 1951 to 1966, he was assigned to various positions ashore and afloat, 
including commands of the fleet tug USS Matacofrom 1957–1958 and the 
salvage ship USS Reclaimer from 1961-1963.[1]
He took command of the Liberty in April 1966 and on June 8, 1967 the Liberty 
was attacked while sailing in international watersin the Eastern Mediterranean.[1] 
The Israeli government claimed the ship was an Egyptian vessel and attacked it with jets, 
helicopters and motor torpedo boats. McGonagle was severely wounded during 
the first air attack but remained in command throughout the night and the
 seventeen hour attack. Although the bridge had sustained heavy damage he stayed
 and directed the defense of the ship, refusing to leave his post for needed medical
 attention. As the Israeli fighters continued their attack he maneuvered his ship, 
directed its defense, supervised the control of flooding and fire, and saw to the
 care of the casualties. Eventually a United States destroyer arrived to assist 
and he permitted himself to be removed from the bridge and relinquished command of the Liberty.[2]
 The combined air and sea attack killed 34 crew members including naval officers, 
seamen, two Marines, and a civilian, wounded 171, and severely damaged the ship.
 Although the ship had a 39 ft (12 m) wide by 24 ft (7.3 m) high hole and a twisted keel, 
the crew kept the ship afloat, and were able to leave the area under their own power. 
When the damage to the ship was assessed 821 rocket and machine-gun holes
 were found in the ship’s hull.[3]
On March 3, 1999 he died in Palm Springs, California and following services at
 the Post Chapel at Fort Myer, Virginia. He was buried with full military honors
 on April 9, 1999 at Arlington National Cemetery with members of his USS Liberty 
crew in attendance. His grave can be found in section 34, lot 208 map grid U/V 11 near 
the common gravesite of six other members of the USS Liberty crew.

z_moh_navy.gif (7974 bytes)
The President of the United States
in the name of The Congress
takes pleasure in presenting the
Medal of Honor


Rank and organization: Captain (then Comdr.) U.S. Navy, U.S.S. Liberty (AGTR-5).   Place and date: International waters, Eastern Mediterranean, 8-9 June 1967. Entered service at: Thermal, Calif. Born: 19 November 1925, Wichita, Kans. 
For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. Sailing in international waters, the Liberty was attacked without warning by jet fighter aircraft and motor torpedo boats which inflicted many casualties among the crew and caused extreme damage to the ship. Although severely wounded during the first air attack, Capt. McGonagle remained at his battle station on the badly damaged bridge and, with full knowledge of the seriousness of his wounds, subordinated his own welfare to the safety and survival of his command. Steadfastly refusing any treatment which would take him away from his post, he calmly continued to exercise firm command of his ship. Despite continuous exposure to fire, he maneuvered his ship, directed its defense, supervised the control of flooding and fire, and saw to the care of the casualties. Capt. McGonagle’s extraordinary valor under these conditions inspired the surviving members of the Liberty’s crew, many of them seriously wounded, to heroic efforts to overcome the battle damage and keep the ship afloat. Subsequent to the attack, although in great pain and weak from the loss of blood, Captain McGonagle remained at his battle station and continued to command his ship for more than 17 hours. It was only after rendezvous with a U.S. destroyer that he relinquished personal control of the Liberty and permitted himself to be removed from the bridge. Even then, he refused much needed medical attention until convinced that the seriously wounded among his crew had been treated. Capt. McGonagle’s superb professionalism, courageous fighting spirit, and valiant leadership saved his ship and many lives. His actions sustain and enhance the finest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service.
(Captain McGonagle earned the Medal of Honor for actions that took place in international waters in the Eastern Mediterranean.)