This is from Wikipedia and Home Of the Hero’s.

Louis J. Sebille
Louis Sebille  Airforce moh.jpg
Louis J. Sebille

Louis Joseph “Lou” Sebille (November 21, 1915 – August 5, 1950) was a fighter pilot in the United States Army Air Corpsduring World War II and later the United States Air Force during the Korean War. He rose to the rank of Major and posthumouslyreceived the Medal of Honor for his actions on August 5, 1950 in South Korea during the Battle of Pusan Perimeter.
Born in Michigan, Sebille worked as an MC in Chicago, Illinois before joining the US Army Air Corps shortly after the attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. Sebille flew B-26 Marauder bombers over Europe from 1943 to 1945 and was highly decorated for his 68 combat missions. Sebille eventually accrued more than 3,000 hours of flying time. He briefly became an airline pilot before returning to the Air Force before the start of the Korean War.
Sebille commanded the 67th Fighter-Bomber Squadron at the outbreak of the Korean War, flying F-51 Mustangs in close air support and air strike missions. During one such mission, Sebille attacked a North Korean armored column advancing on United Nations units. Though his aircraft was heavily damaged and he was wounded during the first pass on the column, he turned his plane around and attacked again, deliberately crashing into the convoy at the cost of his life. After his death, he was awarded the Medal of Honor.
Louis J. Sebille was born on November 12, 1915 in Harbor Beach, Michigan.[2] He attended Wayne State University in Detroit, Michigan.[3] After his graduation from the university in the 1930s he moved to Chicago, Illinois where he worked as a Master of Ceremonies, in several Chicago nightclubs under the nickname “Lou Reynolds.” He was described as “a handsome glib master of ceremonies who used to wow the customers with his own parody of My Blue Heaven“.[4] Sebille married and his wife gave birth to a son in December 1949.[5]

[edit]World War II

Sebille enlisted in the United States Army Air Corps several days after the December 7, 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor by theEmpire of Japan. He began flight training in January 1942, in spite of being two months older than the cutoff age of 26, as the desperate need for pilots combined with Sebille’s skills as a pilot allowed him to waive the age restriction.[3] During that time he was described as an outstanding pilot and leader, and his maturity was helpful for the younger flight trainees.[6] After completing flight training, Sebille was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant and assigned to the 450th Bombardment Squadron322nd Bombardment Group 3rd Bombardment Wing at MacDill FieldFlorida. Sebille flew B-26 Marauder aircraft.[6]
Deployed to England in January 1943, Sebille flew bombing missions in the European theatre. The 322nd Bombardment Group, the first unit to fly the B-26 Marauder, was sent on its first mission on May 14, a low-altitude attack on an electrical power plantin the Netherlands under the control of Nazi Germany. The mission was Sebille’s first sortie, and the group suffered one plane lost and 10 damaged. Three days later a second attack was assigned on the same target. Sebille was not on the mission list. Of the planes that flew the mission, one aborted and the rest did not return.[3] Sebille advanced to flight leader and then was promoted to squadron operations officer with a temporary rank of Major.[6] By the end of the war, Sebille had flown 68 combat missions with 245 combat hours. In the war he had been awarded two Distinguished Flying Crosses and twelve Air Medals for his leadership. The unit returned to the United States in March, 1945.[7]
After the end of the war, Sebille left active duty with the Air Force and began work as a commercial airline pilot.[4] However he returned to the Air Force in July 1946 when offered a commission as a First Lieutenant. He held several positions, first as a staff officer with the Ninth United States Air Forceheadquarters at Biggs Army Airfield at Fort Bliss, Texas. Shortly thereafter, Sebille was assigned as an F-51 Mustang and F-80 Shooting Star instructor pilot, teaching other pilots how to transition from conventional fighter aircraft to newer jet engine powered models. Sebille then attended Air Tactical School at Tyndall FieldFlorida.[7] He was then assigned to Clark Air Base in the Philippines in 1948. During this time, he flew an F-51D named Nancy III (tail number 44-74112).[8] In November 1948, Sebille was once again promoted to Major and made thecommanding officer of the 67th Fighter-Bomber Squadron18th Fighter-Bomber Wing, a component of the Fifth United States Air Force stationed in Japan for post-World War IIoccupation duties.[6] In November 1949, the squadron began receiving new F-80’s but continued to fly a mix of F-80 and F-51 aircraft.[9] Eventually, the squadron transitioned entirely to F-80s, then back to F-51s.[3] During this time, Sebille was known to spend time in his squadron’s Quonset hut. He frequently discussed fighting and death, including sentiments supportingsuicide attack, at one point saying “If you have to die, then take some of the enemy with you.”[4] During this time Sebille worked mostly administrative duty as the squadron absorbed new aircraft and pilots in Japan.[3]
With the outbreak of the Korean War on June 25, 1950, the United Nations voted to send troops into South Korea to aid it against the North Korean Army to prevent the country from collapsing. Sebille’s unit was among those send to assist the UN ground forces operating in Korea.[10] By the end of July, the US had shipped a large number of aircraft of all types to Korea. On July 30, the Far East Air Forces had 890 planes; 626 F-80’s and 264 F-51’s, but only 525 of them were in units and available and ready for combat.[11]
Early in the war, these aircraft were used primarily to conduct raids and gather intelligence on North Korean ground targets, focused on disrupting North Korean supply to the front lines.[12] However, as soon as UN forces retreated to Pusan Perimeter following the Battle of Taejon, the Naval aircraft were immediately re purposed for close-air support and airstrikes against North Korean ground troops on the front.[13]These missions were significantly more risky and the aircraft suffered much higher losses due to North Korean ground fire.[14][15] On August 1, Sebille and his squadron moved to Ashiya Air Field and began conducting missions in support of the ground forces in Korea.[16] By August 5, Sebille had accrued over 3,000 hours of flying time over the course of his career.[6] During this time, the 67th Fighter-Bomber Squadron operated primarily out of Ashiya but also used airfields at Taegu and Pusan.[17]
 moh_army.gif (14215 bytes)
The President of the United States
in the name of
The Congress
takes pleasure in presenting the
Medal of Honor


At the beginning of the Battle of Pusan Perimeter, the night of September 4, North Korean troops established a beachhead across the Naktong River and were using it to advance across the river and attack Taegu, where the UN’s Eighth United States Army was headquartered in defense of the perimeter.[6] A T-6 Mosquito forward air controller spotted a North Korea column advancing through the village of Hamchang the next morning, September 5.[7] Sebille was ordered to lead a flight of three F-51’s on an airstrike against the North Korean troops advancing there.[6]
Sebille flew a P-51 (tail number 44-74394) loaded with two 500 pounds (230 kg) bombs, six rockets, and six M2 Browning .50 caliber machine guns.[8] He and his wingmen, Captain Martin Johnson and Lieutenant Charles Morehouse,[7] approached the village at an altitude of 5,000 feet (1,500 m) and spotted a North Korean armored column crossing the river in a shallow area. Sebille positioned himself for a medium-angle dive bomb run, planning to drop both of his bombs on his first attack. Diving, he held steady until about 2,500 feet (760 m). When he spotted a target column of trucks, artillery guns and armored cars, led by a North Korean Armored Personnel Carrier, he hit the bomb release button on his control stick, and then made a sharp pull-up to the left to stay away from his bomb blast. However, only one of his bombs had released, and the 500 pounds (230 kg) of unbalanced weight under his left wing may have contributed to his near miss on the first run.[6]
North Korean anti aircraft fire struck Sebille’s F-51 as he turned to make a second run, heavily damaging the aircraft and it began trailing smoke and glycol coolant.[5] Sebille had intended to release his second bomb, but he radioed Johnson that he had been hit and injured, probably fatally. Johnson radioed back Sebille should try to head for a US emergency landing strip in Taegu a short distance away, but Sebille responded with his last known words, “No, I’ll never make it. I’m going back and get that bastard (sic)”.[4] He dove straight toward the APC that was his target. He fired his six rockets in salvo, but instead of pulling up to the regular 2,000 feet (610 m), he deliberately continued to dive his airplane and the remaining bomb straight into the target, firing his six machine guns. His plane sustained even heavier damage, and he crashed into the North Korean convoy destroying a large contingent of North Korean ground troops and vehicles though being killed instantly himself.[7][8]
He was buried at Forest Home Cemetery in Forest Park, Chicago.[18] Upon hearing reports of Sebille’s death, commanders in Korea did not think highly of Sebille’s act, likening it to akamikaze action. In spite of reluctance, Lieutenant Don Bolt, the squadron’s assistant awards officer, forwarded a citation of the event to Washington D.C. where Sebille would be evaluated for the Medal of Honor. Shortly after the incident, both Bolt and Sebille’s second-in-command, Captain Robert Howells, were killed in separate combat engagements.[19] After his death, a short obituary for Sebille appeared in Time Magazine.[4] The United States Air Force Academy also created a memorial to Sebille in Harmon Hall, the academy’s administration building.[6]