This is from Wikipedia and Home of the Hero’s.

Raymond Michael Clausen, Jr.
Clausen RM USMC.jpg  A light blue neck ribbon with a gold star shaped medallion hanging from it. The ribbon is similar in shape to a bowtie with 13 white stars in the center of the ribbon.

Raymond Michael Clausen Jr. (October 14, 1947–May 30, 2004) was a United States Marine who received the Medal of Honorfor heroism in Vietnam in January 1970. On a mission to rescue Marines from a minefield, under heavy enemy fire, he carried out one dead and eleven wounded Marines, making six trips through the minefield until every Marine was extracted.

Clausen was born on October 14, 1947 in New Orleans, Louisiana. He graduated from Hammond High School (Louisiana) in 1965 and attended Southeastern Louisiana University for six months before enlisting in the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve in New Orleans on March 30, 1966. He was discharged to enlist in the regular Marine Corps on May 27, 1966.
Private Clausen received recruit training with the 3rd Recruit Training Battalion, Recruit Training Regiment, Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego, California, and individual combat training with the 3rd Battalion, 2nd Infantry Training Regiment at Camp Pendleton, California. He then completed Aviation Mechanical Fundamentals School and the Basic Helicopter Course at Naval Air Technical Training Center in Memphis, Tennessee.
He completed his training in April 1967 and was transferred to Marine Aircraft Group 26 (MAG-26), Marine Corps Air Facility, New River, Jacksonville, North Carolina, where he served as a jet engine mechanic with Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 365 (HMM-365) and, later, as a guard with Marine Air Base Squadron 26 (MABS-26).
In December 1967, Private First Class Clausen was ordered overseas to serve as a jet helicopter mechanic, which he did throughout his tour of active duty service. He joined the 1st Marine Aircraft WingFleet Marine Force, Pacific, with Headquarters and Maintenance Squadron 36 (H&MS-36)Marine Aircraft Group 36 (MAG-36) until September 1968, then with HMM-364,Marine Aircraft Group 16 (MAG-16) until the following August. PFC Clausen then returned to the United States, where he joinedMarine Aircraft Group 26 (MAG-26) at Marine Corps Air Station New River for duty with HMM-261.
He began his second tour of duty in November 1969 with HMM-263, MAG-16, 1st Marine Aircraft WingFleet Marine Force, Pacific. On January 31, 1970, as part of a mission to rescue Marines who were stranded in a minefield near Da Nang, under heavy enemy fire, he made six trips out of his helicopter through the minefield, carrying back eleven wounded Marines and one dead until the last Marine was accounted for.
On August 19, 1970, upon his return to the United States, he was released from active duty at the rank of PFC.
On June 15, 1971, he was presented the Medal of Honor by President Richard M. Nixon in a ceremony at the White House.[1]
Private Clausen died at the age of 56 on May 30, 2004 at Baylor University Medical CenterDallas, Texas, due to liver failure. He was buried at Ponchatoula Cemetery in Ponchatoula, Louisiana, with full military honors.
z_moh_navy.gif (7974 bytes)
The President of the United States
in the name of The Congress
takes pleasure in presenting the
Medal of Honor


For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving with Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 263, Marine Aircraft Group 16, First Marine Aircraft Wing, during operations against enemy forces in the Republic of Vietnam on January 31, 1970. Participating in a helicopter rescue mission to extract elements of a platoon which had inadvertently entered a minefield while attacking enemy positions, Private First Class Clausen skillfully guided the helicopter pilot to a landing in an area cleared by one of several mine explosions. With eleven Marines wounded, one dead, and the remaining eight Marines holding their positions for fear of detonating other mines, Private First Class Clausen quickly leaped from the helicopter and, in the face of enemy fire, moved across the extremely hazardous, mine-laden area to assist in carrying casualties to the waiting helicopter and in placing them aboard. Despite the ever-present threat of further mine explosions, he continued his valiant efforts, leaving the comparatively safe area of the helicopter on six separate occasions to carry out his rescue efforts. On one occasion while he was carrying one of the wounded, another mine detonated, killing a corpsman and wounding three other men. Only when he was certain that all Marines were safely aboard did he signal the pilot to lift the helicopter. By his courageous, determined and inspiring efforts in the face of the utmost danger, Private First Class Clausen upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and of the United States Naval Service.