Advertisements
Home

Vermont Firearms Dealer To Lay Off 41 Because of Obama Executive Action

1 Comment

This is from The Daily Caller.

Obama wants to destroy the gun industry.

He also wants Americans as unarmed serfs not free citizens.

 

A Vermont firearms dealer says the Obama administration is responsible for him having to lay off 41 of its workers in a “last minute” move that has even angered some of the state’s liberal politicians.

Century International Arms had a $30 million contract in place to import World War II era M1 Garand Rifles from the South Korean government. The U.S. State Department had given preliminary approval to the deal, and the State, Justice and Defense departments had cleared the transaction.

But an executive action announced last year by President Obama ultimately blocked the plan, according to the gun seller, despite pleas from Sen. Patrick Leahy and Gov. Peter Shumlin, both Democrats.

“All the normal approvals were in place to obtain the import permits for this sale from ATF,” the company wrote in a statement on Thursday.

It said it had invested “considerable funds” to line up approval and financing for the bid, which it had won from the South Korean government.

But the deal was nixed, the company said, because “the White House intervened at the last minute and blocked this importation.”

The administration’s rationale was what it called “two common-sense executive actions” announced last year which were designed “to keep the most dangerous firearms out of the wrong hands.”

One of the actions put a ban on private entities re-importing military surplus firearms. Museums are one of the only exceptions to the ruling.

In a letter sent last month, Leahy and Shumlin pleaded with Obama to allow the transaction to go through.

They noted that the M1 Garand Rifle is used in the government-chartered Civilian Marksmanship Program. It was also given exemption in California U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein’s Assault Weapons Ban of 2013 bill.

They also claimed that blocking the deal would harm the company and its 200-plus employees.

And according to the company, that’s exactly what happened.

“As a consequence of this denial, there has been a reduction in work and Century has had to make the difficult decision to layoff 41 Vermont employees,” the company wrote.

“I think the Obama administration made a bad bad mistake,” said Leahy, according to WCAX.

“This is not like selling a bunch of assault weapons; these are basically collectors’ items,,” he said. “I’m a gun owner and these are not the things someone is going to use to hold up a bank, or shoot people, they are legitimate collector items.”

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2014/06/07/vermont-firearms-dealer-to-lay-off-41-because-of-obama-executive-action/#ixzz34Cwp6Rvr

Advertisements

What Pres. Obama Neglected to Mention Before Banning Re-Imports of M1 Garand Rifles

Leave a comment

This is from AmmoLand.

I am at a loss for words.

 

 

M1 Garand Rifles

M1 Garand Rifles

SanityPolitics

SanityPolitics

New Jersey-(Ammoland.com)-  On August 29, 2013, the Obama administration announced that the government would no longer authorize the re-importation of made US weapons.

Following WWII and the Korean War, the United States sold and gifted decommissioned rifles to its allies around the world fighting the spread of Communism.

The majority of these rifles were M1 Garands.

While these rifles remain legal to buy and sell domestically, countries like South Korea are no longer able to resell these rifles to American collectors. Even though these historic firearms are seldom, if ever, implicated in crimes, this new executive order promises a decrease in gun violence. Gun control groups such as Moms Demand Action applauded the measure as a common sense way to reduce gun violence that plagues our inner cities. Second Amendment groups, like the NRA, criticized the administration for “completely [missing] the mark when it comes to stopping violent crime” and putting the last nail in the coffin for the 110 year old Civilian Marksmanship Program.

Since the tragic school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, President Obama has sought to do everything within his power to limit civilian ownership of firearms. With the Senate unable to break the filibuster and the House of Representatives unlikely to bring gun control legislation out of committee, President Obama has been forced to turn to executive orders. While presidential power is limited without congressional approval, executive oversight over the ATF allows the President some flexibility in changing government policy.

Restricting the re-importation of US WWII rifles fits within this authority.

Many of these antique rifles now prohibited from re-entering the country possess the same semi-automatic actions that gun control advocates have sought to limit through a new Assault Weapons Ban. For this reason, the President believes that their age and collectability is a non-issue. As long as they remain functional, they are perceived as a threat. With mass shootings still fresh in our memories, President Obama hopes that limiting the number of semi-automatic rifles available to the public will reduce the likelihood of another tragic school shooting.

I know what you’re thinking: Curio and Relic (C&R) firearms are rarely, if ever, implicated in crimes and certainly haven’t been used in a school shooting. While it is safe to say that it is unlikely to find a mass shooter with C&R firearm, Obama is right to worry about the M1 Garand specifically. This historic rifle was used in one of the most infamous, high-profile school shootings in the 20th century. However that is no reason to limit the civilian ownership of this weapon.

Ohio Army National Guard arrived at Kent State University

Ohio Army National Guard arrived at Kent State University

On May 4, 1970, members of the Ohio Army National Guard arrived at Kent State University to respond to a growing anti-war protest movement on campus. For the last four days, college students had protested the Nixon Administration’s new Cambodian campaign on the university quad. As the protest grew, so did its media exposure. On the fourth day of the protests, the National Guard soldiers — equipped with M1 Garands — fixed their bayonets and drove the student protesters off of the university quad.

At 12:24PM — for reasons still being debated to this day — Sgt. Myron Pryor turned his 1911 service pistol on the students and began firing. The other National Guard soldiers followed suit. The result was a volley of approximately 67 shots into the crowd of unarmed student protesters. When the dust settled, four students were dead and another nine were wounded.

While President Nixon’s investigative commission held both the students and the Guardsmen responsible, it concluded that the “the indiscriminate firing of rifles into a crowd of students and the deaths that followed were unnecessary, unwarranted, and inexcusable.”

When gun control advocates talk about the United States’ history of mass shootings, they seldom include the Kent State Massacre. While they oppose the civilian ownership of “military style” weapons, they are more than willing to support the militarization of domestic police forces. But I must warn against allowing gun control advocates to frame the argument in a way to include antique rifles in the “military style” category. How far back can this logic be stretched? The common response is that a “military style” firearm is any weapon that was deliberately designed to kill people. Under that assumption, nearly every weapon stretching back to when the Chinese discovered gun powder could be labeled a prohibited weapon.

The very muskets that won this country’s revolutionary war could get caught in the gun control dragnet.

The M1 Garands and Carbines now prohibited for re-importation are functional firearms that, if placed into capable hands, are certainly capable of inflicting damage. The M1 Garand’s use in the Kent State Massacre proves that. However it is illogical to take a school shooting, perpetrated by elements of our armed forces, and use it as a rationale to prevent the civilian ownership of these weapons. If anything, the Kent State Massacre legitimizes the civilian ownership of comparable military style firearms. The idea that a National Guard unit could open fire and mow down unarmed protesters is beyond disturbing.

According to Gen. George S. Patton, the M1 Garand was the “the greatest battle implement ever devised.” It helped win the Second World War and remained in active service through the Korean and Vietnam Wars. In peacetime, the M1 Garand provided countries like West Germany, Italy, Japan, Greece, Turkey, and South Korea with a means of defending against the spread of Communism and Marxism on the European and Asian continents. At home, the M1 Garand served as the backbone of the Civilian Marksmanship Program and taught countless Americans the skills required for membership in our nation’s unorganized militia.

Yet today, we are told that reintroducing these service rifles into the market would lead to an increase in crime and gun violence. Gun control advocates neglect to mention examples of when this storied rifle contributed to a crime.

If they did the research however, they would learn that the most deadly domestic shooting involving an M1 Garand was committed not by a deranged citizen, but by elements of our own National Guard. Let that sink in a bit…

Read more: http://www.ammoland.com/2013/09/130016/#ixzz2dtCNqOJ7
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

 

Bill May Allow Korean M1 Garand Rifles to Finally Return to the U.S

Leave a comment

This is from Outdoor Hub.

I think this is great but I do not see Obama and DemocRats

letting this happen.

I do not think the M-1 Garand’s or M-1 carbines are being used

in drive by shootings by gang bangers.

 Representative Cynthia Lummis (R-Wyoming) is to be applauded.  

A large number of M1 Garand rifles exported to South Korea several decades ago may be able to return to the U.S. with the introduction of a new bill by Representative Cynthia Lummis (R-Wyoming).A large number of M1 Garand rifles exported to South Korea several decades ago may be able to return to the U.S. with the introduction of a new bill by Representative Cynthia Lummis (R-Wyoming).

Tens of thousands of M1 Garand rifles and even more M1 Carbines lay in storage somewhere in South Korea. Originally shipped to the Asian nation several decades ago to help equip their military, the weapons are now outdated on the modern battlefield. Among collectors and enthusiasts however, they are held up as invaluable pieces of American history and ingenuity. Stocks of the rifle within the U.S. are fast dwindling (if not depleted already) and those who want to get their hands on one are looking across the Pacific.

Those in favor of returning these firearms home have been trying for years to import the surplus rifles and carbines. The South Korean government was eager to offload the rifles for much needed funds, but efforts to ship the rifles back were blocked repeatedly on the U.S. end due to security concerns. Those against the import say that the firearms could be purchased by individuals for illicit purposes. Gun advocates say that was no reason to ban the import of the rifles.

“Any guns that retail in the United States, of course, including these [M1 Garands], can only be sold to someone who passes the National Instant Check System,” David Kopel, research director at the conservative Independence Institute, told Fox Newsin 2010. “There is no greater risk from these particular guns than there is from any other guns sold in the United States.”

In 2012 it seemed that the federal government reversed its decision and will be allowing the M1 Garands to come home, along with a limited number of carbines. The plan was for the firearms to be auctioned off and imported to the U.S., where they will be sold through the Civilian Marksmanship Program. Reportedly, the State Department delayed the import and now will not allow the rifles to enter the country. Frustrated over the situation, U.S. Rep. Cynthia Lummis (R-Wyoming) recently introduced a bill to counter the State Department’s decision.

“It’s disappointing that legislation is even necessary to allow U.S. citizens to access perfectly legal and regulated firearms, in this case storied, U.S.-made rifles that are pieces of U.S. military history,” Rep. Lummis said. “This is a political stunt on the part of the State Department, pure and simple, while denying the exercise of Second Amendment rights by law-abiding citizens, firearm collectors, and competitive marksmen. The State Department has no business blocking domestic firearm ownership; they are way out of bounds and my legislation will put them back in their place.”

A release on the congresswoman’s website read:

On Tuesday U.S. Representative Cynthia Lummis (R-Wyo) introduced H.R. 2247, the Collectible Firearms Protection Act. The bill reverses a State Department decision to block the importation of historic M1 Garand rifles and M1 carbines from South Korea. Originally furnished by the United States to South Korea for military purposes over 50 years ago, the rifles are widely sought collectors’ items and among the most popular rifles in marksmanship competitions. The rifles are perfectly legal to manufacture and sell in the United States and like all firearm imports would be subject to the federal rules and regulations governing retail firearm sales. A similar sale from South Korea was approved during the Reagan Administration. The current State Department’s interference with the sale runs counter to the intent of Congress, which on two prior occasions amended the law to allow for this kind of transaction.

Thanks to The Truth About Guns for highlighting this bill.

Image from user Curiosandrelics on the Wikipedia Commons

 

 

 

%d bloggers like this: