Advertisements
Home

Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor Reveals News About Her Family in Puerto Rico

Leave a comment

H/T Western Journalism.

Please join me in prayer for the family of Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor and all of the people of Puerto Rico.

“The island is suffering a great tragedy right now.”

At a Thursday conference in Washington, D.C., Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor revealed unsettling news about her family. She has not heard from “half” of her relatives living in Puerto Rico since Hurricane Maria tore through the island earlier this week.

“The island is suffering a great tragedy right now,” Sotomayor told CNN’s Nia-Malika Henderson. “Myself personally and the rest of my family, we are exceedingly concerned. We ask for your prayers.”

Although Sotomayor was born in the Bronx in New York city, her parents are originally from Puerto Rico. Many of her extended family still live on the island.

Maria ravaged Puerto Rico as a Category 4 storm, flooding streets and demolishing homes. The storm has knocked out the entire power grid across the U.S. territory. Many residents could be without power for weeks or even months.

At least six people have died on the island so far due to Maria, according to The Associated Press.

President Donald Trump tweeted out his support for Puerto Rico on Thursday.

Many on Twitter have also expressed their support for Sotomayor and all Puerto Ricans dealing with the storm’s aftermath.

US Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor says she hasn’t heard from half her family in Puerto Rico http://cnn.it/2wHo2Jc pic.twitter.com/hqxeq3ppll

Sending prayers to Puerto Rico citizens! Justice Sonia Sotomayor, hope you receive good news today your family ok. Probably no power🙏🏻

US Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor says she hasn’t heard from half her family in Puerto Rico http://cnn.it/2wHo2Jc pic.twitter.com/hqxeq3ppll

Thoughts and prayers to all. May be they don’t have a way to communicate. Hang on, there’s still hope❤️💙❤️

US Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor says she hasn’t heard from half her family in Puerto Rico http://cnn.it/2xV1c10 pic.twitter.com/AK69SLXW0C

That must be very scary for her. Praying they are safe, & just unable to get calls through!

US Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor says she hasn’t heard from half her family in Puerto Rico http://cnn.it/2xV1c10 pic.twitter.com/AK69SLXW0C

We are praying for everyone in Puetro Rico & 🦋ppl on other islands. We are praying for all the beautiful people in Caribbean Islands👏🏼👏🏾👏🏿❤️ pic.twitter.com/Qj9BnJqq3y

View image on Twitter

Sotomayor is the third woman and first Latina to serve on the Supreme Court.

On Thursday, she had been participating in the Democracy at a Crossroads National Summit.

Despite uncertainty about her family, she was still able to provide her thoughts on civic education and handling politics in today’s world

“Listen before you talk,” Sotomayor said. “That’s what a lot of people don’t do in these heated times.

 

Advertisements

Experiment Over: New Missouri Law Lowers Minimum Wage In St. Louis

Leave a comment

H/T Western Journalism.

Minimum wage hikes costs jobs.

“Despite what you hear from liberals…”

At a time when many cities are increasing the minimum wage, it is heading in the opposite direction in St. Louis, Missouri, after a new state law took effect Monday.

“This increase in the minimum wage might read pretty on paper, but it doesn’t work in practice,” said Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens.

As of Monday, a new state law took effect banning cities from creating a higher minimum wage than the wage for the state overall. That means the $10-per-hour minimum wage set by the St. Louis city government dropped to $7.70 to match the rest of the state. St. Louis had planned to move the minimum wage to $11 next year. The federal minimum wage is $7.25 an hour.

Republican State Sen. Dan Hegeman said the higher minimum could have forced employers to cut jobs or move out.

“You end up having fewer jobs and you do a disservice to the workers,” Hegeman said. “In my heart of hearts, I really think it hurts people in the long run.”

Greitens said the higher wage in St, Louis, which began two months ago, would “kill jobs, and despite what you hear from liberals, it will take money out of people’s pockets.”

“Our state needs more private-sector paychecks and bigger private-sector paychecks,” Greitens said in a statement. “Politicians in St. Louis passed a bill that fails on both counts.”

“Government imposes an arbitrary wage, and small businesses either have to cut people’s hours or let them go,” Greitens said.

Seattle, which was a leader in raising the minimum wage, has been closely examined for the impact of a higher wage.

The Seattle Minimum Wage Study Team at the University of Washington examined the 2014 law that first pushed the city’s minimum wage from $9.47 per hour to $11 per hour in 2015 and then boosted that to $13 per hour in 2016.

“Our preferred estimates suggest that the Seattle Minimum Wage Ordinance caused hours worked by low-skilled workers (i.e., those earning under $19 per hour) to fall by 9.4 percent during the three quarters when the minimum wage was $13 per hour, resulting in a loss of 3.5 million hours worked per calendar quarter,” the report said.

“The reduction in hours would cost the average employee $179 per month, while the wage increase would recoup only $54 of this loss, leaving a net loss of $125 per month (6.6 percent), which is sizable for a low-wage worker,” the report added.

St. Louis business owners had said the wage increase was an issue.

“It’s a tough pill to swallow and it doesn’t seem very well thought-out to go from $7.70 an hour to $10 and $11 next year,” said Ed Brock, owner of Johnnie Brock’s Dungeon, a costume and accessories shop.

Brock said that when the wage increase took effect, he hired fewer employees.

Trump Gets Key Win From 8th Circuit

Leave a comment

H/T Western Journalism.

Not only is this a victory for President Trump and it is a win for everyone that knows abortion is murder.

“…2-1 ruling…”

The 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled Monday that a state has the right to defund Planned Parenthood.

The 2-1 ruling specifically provided that while plaintiff Medicaid recipients who brought the suit are entitled to care, they cannot dictate that care includes Planned Parenthood facilities.

“The plaintiffs are asserting a right — the absolute right to a particular provider of their choosing — that (the law) does not grant them,” Judge Steven Colloton wrote in the majority opinion.

Several states, including Arkansas, the defendant in the suit, voted to defund Planned Parenthood after the release of a series of undercover videos that allegedly showed executives from the top abortion provider in the country discussing the sale of aborted babies’ body parts.

In April, Congress voted and President Donald Trump signed into law legislation guaranteeing states the right to defund Planned Parenthood, overriding an Obama administration Department of Health and Human Services regulation that had gone into effect two days before Trump took office.

The regulation mandated that “states and localities could not withhold money from a provider for any reason other than an inability to provide family planning services,” The New York Times reported.

In a statement, Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson described the 8th Circuit Court’s ruling as “a substantial legal victory for the right of the state to determine whether Medicaid providers are acting in accordance with best practices, and affirms the prerogative of the state to make reasoned judgments on the Medicaid program.”

The 8th Circuit’s jurisdiction includes Arkansas, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, and North and South Dakota.

Planned Parenthood noted that it had won federal suits against other states that sought to defund the organization.

“To date, seven other states (Alabama, Arizona, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas) have sought to bar Planned Parenthood from Medicaid, and all have been blocked by federal courts,” Planned Parenthood said in a statement.

Louisiana has asked the 5th Circuit to rehear the case en banc, meaning all of the justices (rather than just three) would preside.

The differing rulings between the eighth and other circuit courts make it more likely the Supreme Court will take up the matter.

“This is not over,” said Planned Parenthood Federation of America chief medical officer Raegan McDonald-Mosley. “We will do everything in our power to protect our patients’ access to birth control, cancer screenings and other lifesaving care. Extreme politicians are trying to defund and shut down Planned Parenthood — and this is not what Americans want.”

Jerry Cox, the executive director of the Family Council, an Arkansas-based conservative group, told public radio station KUAR, “The videos aside, the question is should the state of Arkansas do business with an organization that aborts babies, when they don’t need to.”

De Blasio Considers Removal Of Columbus Statue In Manhattan

1 Comment

H/T Western Journalism.

When will this insanity end?

“…slippery slope..”

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio is now considering the removal of a famous Christopher Columbus statue that had stood proudly since the late 19th century. 

The statue, which was erected in Manhattan’s Columbus Circle, is currently under review by the city to determine whether or not it is a symbol of hate.

Another catastrophic blunder by the desperate wing-nuts on the Left. The backlash will be severe. Bank on it. http://nypost.com/2017/08/21/columbus-circle-monument-could-be-next-statue-to-go/amp/ 

Photo published for Columbus Circle monument could be next statue to go

Columbus Circle monument could be next statue to go

Christopher Columbus could be next on the monuments chopping block. The 76-foot structure honoring the explorer at Columbus Circle should be among the statues reviewed by the city for potential

nypost.com

Columbus is revered for his leading role in the exploration of the Aericas and is a symbol of pride for those of Italian heritage. In fact, the statue in Manhattan was gifted by a group of Italian Americans.

However, Columbus is often criticized over claims that he played a critical role in wiping out the continent’s native inhabitants, as well as actively participating in the slave trade.

“We have to look at everything here,” de Blasio said during Wednesday night’s Democratic mayor debate

City council speaker Melissa Mark-Viverito was more upfront with her desire for the statue to come down.

“Christopher Columbus is a controversial figure to many of us particularly in the Caribbean and I think that that has to be looked at, when you have to look at history we have to look at it thoroughly and clearly,” she said Monday.

However, some New York Democrats think the removal of the statue will lead to more dangerous things — blurring the line between history and revisionism.

Sal Albanese, de Blasio’s Democratic rival for mayor, warned that the city was on a “slippery slope” if it continued down the path of tearing up statues.

“(De Blasio) said Confederate statues that were reminders of slavery and racism deserved to be banned, but, do we remove statues of George Washington and Thomas Jefferson?” Albanese said.

The proposal comes after a 200-year-old Columbus statue was defaced in Baltimore on Monday.

A group calling themselves the “Popular Resistance,” uploaded a video to Youtube with footage of men in hoodies smashing the monument with a sledgehammer.

They claim their motive was to combat a “culture of white supremacy.”

Calif. ‘Sanctuary City’ Lawsuit Against Trump Administration Dismissed

Leave a comment

H/T Western Journalism.

Every Damned one of these lawsuits need to be dismissed.

“… likely to face enforcement under the executive order …”

The city of Richmond, California, which sought to practice solidarity with neighboring communities by filling a lawsuit against the Trump administration’s crackdown on sanctuary cities, has had its lawsuit cast aside by a federal judge.

Judge William H. Orrick said the city, which is near Oakland and has a population of 109,000, has no standing to sue because it cannot show any impact form Trump’s executive order demanding that communities comply with federal immigration authorities.

“Richmond has not actually refused to cooperate or assist ICE, has not declined to honor any detainer requests, and has not otherwise hindered the enforcement of federal immigration law,” Orrick wrote.

Advertisement – story continues below

When the city near Oakland filed its lawsuit, it said it was acting on behalf of all small communities and standing up to the Trump administration.

“This is an unprecedented abuse of federal power and is full of arrogance by Washington, D.C., to break up the trust of the people of Richmond and the public servants that represent them,” lead attorney Joe Cotchett said in announcing the lawsuit, saying Richmond was at risk because it took federal money and had a large Hispanic population.

“This lawsuit was filed not just for Richmond, but on behalf of every little city not only in California but across the nation.”

Orrick was not impressed.

“(R)egardless of what its large Latino population might indicate, ICE has never asked Richmond for assistance enforcing immigration laws and has never issued a detainer request to Richmond police. Richmond has not alleged any facts supporting the contention that its large Latino population is likely to subject it to defunding under the executive order,” Orrick wrote.

Orrick said there has been no harm to Richmond.“Despite having no real-world friction with ICE or the defendants over its policies, Richmond argues that it is likely to face enforcement under the executive order because it has been called a sanctuary city and because it has a large Latino population,” Orrick wrote.”Neither of those arguments is persuasive.”

 

The judge also said it takes more to be a sanctuary city than self-promotion.

“Richmond asserts that it has been called a sanctuary city, but does not say by whom or in what context. This vague assertion that someone, somewhere, referred to Richmond as a sanctuary city is insufficient to demonstrate that the federal government believes Richmond is a sanctuary city or is likely to enforce the executive order against it,” he wrote.

Orrick suggested that if Richmond wants to fight the Trump administration, it can file briefs supporting sanctuary cities such as San Francisco and Santa Clara that are already fighting the White House

TV Western Star Dead At Age 87

3 Comments

H/T Western Journalism.

R.I.P.Ty “Bronco Layne”Hardin.

‘…a popular film and television actor’.

On the TV screen, he played a former Confederate officer who wandered the West. In real life, he founded an anti-tax group that became the Arizona Patriots.

Actor and activist Ty Hardin died Thursday at the age of 87.

Ty Hardin, star of TV Western “Bronco,” dies at 87 http://nydn.us/2uAiMkH  via @THR

His wife, Carolyn Pampu Hardin, told The Associated Press that her husband had been “in failing health.”

Hardin, who was born Orison Whipple Hungerford Jr. in New York City, starred in the Warner Bros. series Bronco, which ran on TV from 1958 to 1962.

In the popular Western, Hardin roamed the American West interacting with both historical and fictional characters.

“There ain’t a horse that he can’t handle, that’s how he got his name,” a line in the show’s theme song went.

The show was a spinoff of Cheyenne, which got its start when the show’s star, Clint Walker, was in a contract dispute with Warner Bros. Hardin’s character, Bronco Layne, appeared in other Warner westerns, including Maverick and Sugarfoot.

Hardin appeared in 1960s movies such as Merrill’s Marauders, PT 109Battle of the Bulge and Custer of the West.

Fallen Airman’s Family Shocked By The Actions Of Airline Passengers

1 Comment

H/T Western Journalism.

The actions of these people is very disgraceful.

“Pretty damn disappointed in people today.”

military family’s pain and sadness was worsened recently by the actions of a group of airline passengers.

The casket of fallen airman Ssgt. Andre Taylor was en route from Phoenix to his home in Lansing, Mich., when the incident took place.

Retired airman Ken Fitzgerald told KPHO-TV that several times throughout the flight, the crew made an announcement about what would happen upon arrival.

We have a fallen soldier onboard, fallen airman, and we ask you to remain seated as we pull into the gate until he can be escorted off the aircraft first,” Fitzgerald said, repeating the announcement.

Fitzgerald said the request to remain seated was meant to show respect for the serviceman who had lost his life while serving the United States.

When the Delta Airlines flight made its landing in Lansing, the military escort for Taylor stood and began departing the plane. Instead of remaining in their seats, as asked, the majority of the passengers began removing their items from under their seats and the overhead bins and making their way to the exit.

I was just in shock,” Fitzgerald said. “I was looking at them and I was like, ‘Are you kidding me?!’”

He shot a video, which he later posted on his Facebook page.

In his post he wrote, “RIP SSgt. Andre Taylor. Pretty damn disappointed in people today.”

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fkenneth.fitzgerald1%2Fposts%2F10209883373546575&width=500

“I was saddened by the disrespect people had displayed on the plane that day, but now I’m just so overwhelmed by the love and support my brother and family has received because of that disrespect,” said Tiffany Dobson, Taylor’s sister. “It has really helped my family get through this hard time.”

Taylor, 28, was born in Lansing and had served as an airman in the U.S. Air Force for 10 years. He was stationed at Luke Air Force Base in Arizona.

Taylor’s family stood solemnly as six members of the United States Air Force Honor Guard  respectfully removed the casket from the plane and placed it in a waiting hearse.

Older Entries

%d bloggers like this: